Breaking News

The Bianca Andreescu comeback: Will she still remain a threat on tour?

     It was a shoulder injury that took her down and out, not nearly a player as she dug deep into the WTA pool of ladies defeating them one by one. After winning Indian Wells from Angelique Kerber she would play Miami and her first round opponent Irina-Camelia Begu. Here is where Andreescu's body started feeling the stress and strain of winning most of the matches out of 12 played. She was down a set and down 4 games in the second set. Mentally and physically she crawled back into the game to win the second and the decider sets. It was her fourth round in Miami she trailed Anett Kontaveit 6-1, 2-0 in the second set that the pain in her shoulder became agony. "I'm gone," she'd say into the mic to her coach Sylvain Bruneau while getting medical treatment on court. The rest is history.

     Andreescu was unable to play the Canadian Fed Cup due to the shoulder injury and is now on rest and recuperation. The next big thing in tennis is in May with the Madrid Open. Hopefully, she will be ready physically for that and then weeks later the French Open. When the Canadian teen does return on the court, there may be some apprehension from her fans and the tennis community if she'll be able to keep the sting in her game to bring in the victories. "Nothing can distract me. I'm relaxed. I trust myself, I trust my shots and I feel confident..." Andreescu had said at the Indian Wells press conference after winning the title. 

     The weapons Andreescu has are remarkable for an 18-year-old but she admits that many are intentional while others are accidental. They had started as early as when she was 11 and had joined Tennis Canada when her 'dirty game' regime started. "Maybe it's because I was getting bored on the court that I tried everything that I could -- drop shots, mixing it up," she said smilingly. Andreescu had the courage and belief to try those shots at less critical times and before the US Open. "I noticed that it was throwing off a lot of players during junior tournaments, so I kept improving it. Now it's paying off. It's also throwing off all these high-level players, so I'm not going to change my game."

     Bianca Andreescu is in the rest and healing mode now, but for sure when the time comes she hopes to be mentally and physically ready. Playing her game of down and dirty with the best of the WTA ladies is what she strives to do in the result of winning games and matches. Jonathan Dasnieres de Veigy, Andreescu's agent at Octagon had said reassuringly that "Bianca fears no one...so far she has beat every top player she has faced. She is fearless.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2DE5w6h

No comments