Breaking News

Alexander Zverev reveals when Ivan Lendl will join him on the court again

The ATP Finals champion and a former world no. 3 Alexander Zverev is yet to find his 'A game' in 2019, entering the last week's ATP 250 Geneva Open with an average 15-10 score and just five wins on clay this spring from six tournaments played! Things were not that bright for the 22-year-old in Switzerland as well but he wanted to play more matches ahead of Roland Garros and seek form and potential first ATP title of the season. After three three-set wins over Hugo Dellien, Federico Delbonis and Nicolas Jarry (saved two match points), Alexander went all the way to lift the title, quickly moving to Paris where he faced John Millman in the opening round. 

Just like always at Majors, the German was in all kind of troubles, wasting two sets to love lead before prevailing in the deciding set to kick off the campaign with a victory. After the match, Zverev praised his rival and also mentioned his coach Ivan Lendl who is not here in Paris with him. The Czech is still Alexander's coach and will be back with him on the court during the grass swing in Halle and Wimbledon. 

"I expected it to be a very long and tough match, John is capable of playing incredible tennis at Grand Slams, he is very fit and I consider him as a great player, anyone who beats Roger Federer at Grand Slam deserves to be called that way. I knew it would not be easy and I'm happy to be through. The last few months were not that good for me, both on the court and personally, after the match I had to remind myself that I'm still one of the best players in the world and that everything is good, having the opportunity to play in the second round. Ivan Lendl and I are still working together, he will be back at grass season. He was supposed to come here on Wednesday but since I played in Geneva last week we wouldn't have had any days to practice and there wasn't point for him coming here. Lendl is coming to Europe straight after I finish here, he is going to be there in Halle and Wimbledon."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2XhRoay

No comments