Breaking News

Casper Ruud: 'I will be excited and nervous against Roger Federer'

Casper Ruud defeated Matteo Berrettini in straight sets to reach the French Open third round and book a third round clash against the 20-time Grand Slam winner Roger Federer.

In a press conference, Ruud said: "I think it was a great match I played today against a tough and good opponent. He's been playing a lot of good tennis this year, so I was prepared for a very tough match. And I didn't kind of expect myself to win in three straight sets, but I played very good tennis when I had to the most, especially toward the end of both first and second set. And I think me winning the second set broke him a little bit. And the third set wasn't easy, but it was maybe a bit easier. Like, number-wise it was 6-3. But it was a tough match overall, and of course very pleased to win. And now I'm playing one of the greatest champions ever of this sport on Friday, so I'm just super excited about it. I can play loose and free. I have nothing to stress about or think too much about. But of course I will be a bit excited and nervous, I guess, but I will just look at it as a great opportunity and a privilege to be able to play Roger."

Ruud's father Christian was in the 1999 French Open draw as well as Federer. On it, Casper said: "I think I remember I thought it was cool, but I was young when he told me. So I kind of -- I guess I didn't realize how big of a player and champion Roger was at the time. But, you know, I don't think he had won any Slams at that point when my father practised with him, so I don't think my father put too much into it himself. He was a youngster and he was a good youngster. I think he was number one in the world juniors, so my father knew that. But he developed the last, well, 16, 17 years to become the greatest champion probably of our sport and the most winning player of all time. So it's just very funny to think about."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2EI7Wku

No comments