Breaking News

David Ferrer: 'It's been a very emotional night'

David Ferrer was emotional in commenting on his last career match against Alexander Zverev in Madrid. The Spanish player was leading 4-1 in the first set, then he lost 11 of the 12 remaining games. "I was very tired", admitted Ferrer. "It is true, I started the game playing well, playing with a break, but yesterday I finished the match dehydrated, physically very, very tired. And to win against Zverev you have to be in full condition, you have to be very fit, that is the reality. And it's a reality that physically I cannot play more than two straight matches at the level that I would like to play and that is another symptom that says that my life as a tennis player is finishing. But I have been very lucky to be able to choose the moment, the place, and to share it with all of you and with all the people that I love."

Asked about what came through his mind when this tournament was saying goodbye to him, Ferrer replied: "Well, lots of things. It's been a very emotional night. It's been completely different from any other important moment in my life that I have experienced previously. I was not expecting it. The reality has been more than fiction, I never had expected a goodbye or farewell like today. I tried to play at a high level during the last year, but like a day like today, people at work tomorrow, everyone stays here to support me and that is something that I will only have half in my mind and in my heart. It's something I will never forget. I would never be able to think I was going to finish my career in such a successful way and nevertheless, I have experienced a lot of things. It is the best thing that has happened in my life. I have lived a lot of things, thanks to tennis, both tennis and personally. My child was born a few years ago. I won two Davis Cup with my colleagues, but farewell today has been amazing. It's the only match that I have lost and I'm not very sad, you know. Whenever I lost a match in the past, I left very sadly. Today I'm not sad (smiling). Today is a day that I want to enjoy and I'm very happy to be able to enjoy a day like today."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2HceOIM

No comments