Breaking News

I was intimidated by Serena Williams in the past, says Simona Halep

In an interview to Le Journal Dimanche, Simona Halep was asked about her first French Open memory besides lifting the trophy last year after a three-set final win over Sloane Stephens. "My very first training. It was on the Suzanne Lenglen, it was a bit cold. When I hit the forehand against my coach, I started smiling without any particular reason. Then, of course, there were celebrations. The night of the final, with 30 of my parents, we celebrated in a restaurant near the Arc de Triomphe. We drank champagne on the trophy, me first. Two days after, more than 20,000 people came to congratulate me in the football national stadium in Bucarest. Unforgettable!", said Halep.

On the No. 1 ranking position, the Constancia native added: "I do no longer fight for that. I did it in the last two or three years, but what really matters is your year-end ranking position. It's nice to see new faces: there are more things to follow. Ten of us can win this year's French Open."

Can we consider Serena Williams as the real leader although the American is no longer No. 1? "I cannot use this word because many other players have success and win titles. I think Serena is the best player ever and she is still able to win a Grand Slam. But it's not easy for her either. She needs more time before doing well. When I was younger, she intimidated me. In the end that feeling disappeared."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/30WVCqk

No comments