Breaking News

I was scared about my comeback from motherhood, says Azarenka

In an interview to BBC, the former world no. 1 and two-time Grand Slam winner Victoria Azarenka commented on her comeback from motherhood. The Belarusian gave birth to her son Leo in December 2016 and she was back competing in mid-2017. Azarenka has been struggling to find consistency and she dealt with several injuries. "I was scared, it wasn't easy," admitted Azarenka. "I knew I was going to come back but my first thought was, 'Oh my god I'm never going to play tennis again.' But then it was all about knowing I was going to come back, and when I was going to come back. I felt it was a blessing, but I still wanted to have my own dreams and my own career. I'm sure a lot of women won't be able to relate to me but I felt so much better after (the pregnancy). I felt so much stronger physically, and my body became so much better. I felt like my body finally matured into being a woman.

"We have the power to change the rules and we have done. I think that's what I want my legacy to be, that I'm fighting for women to be more comfortable, to break those stereotypes and move the needle a little forward. That evolution is going to continue to break boundaries and the illusion of women in sport."

Azarenka won the Rome Open doubles title on Sunday.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2EuONm2

No comments