Breaking News

John McEnroe: 'Nick Kyrgios is similar to me'

In an interview to Welt, the seven-time Grand Slam winner John McEnroe recalled his big personality as a player. "I am not sure my personality was that unbelievably popular with many people (laughter). Of course, there are a lot of people who did not like it at all. From the current generation of players, I do not see anyone who was like once. But next to me there is definitely the young Australian Nick Kyrgios. There are some similarities. He has outstanding energy, sometimes fanatics, which I had inside me too."

"At my time we had too much of a freedom. The changes in rules meant that current players can do too less. In a sport like tennis, where two people face each other, there should be bigger freedom of expression, showing more emotions. I am in favour of encouraging players instead of punishing them, even if sometimes they overcome the limit and so they deserve a ban. I think that would help our sport to be more popular."

Asked about his favourite French Open memories, McEnroe concluded: "That 1984 final. That was the best and worst match at the same time for me. Losing to Ivan Lendl in five sets was a low point. A highlight was the welcome I got when I headed into the stadium. That feeling was probably the best in my career."

Kyrgios will play his next tournament in Madrid that starts on Sunday the 5th of May.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2ZYmndu

No comments