Breaking News

Roland Garros favorite Kiki Bertens withdraws

World No. 4 Kiki Bertens, one of the principal favourites of the French Open, withdrew from her second-round match against Viktoria Kuzmova while the score was 3-1 in favour of the Slovak. This is hence the end of the Dutch’s evolution in Roland Garros.

“Yesterday I felt good. No problems at all. I was practising, resting, and I felt really well. Ready for today,” Bertens told the media in during an unhearted press conference. “And then this morning I woke up at 3:00, and then I felt really sick. Vomiting, diarrhoea all night long, all day long. I felt a little bit better before the match. I had some sleep, and I just wanted to give it a try, but then as soon as I start warming up right before the match, it started again.

Yeah, there was not any energy left.”

Yet, the fourth seed still decided to play, “I'm always trying. You never know what happens on the court. I just wanted to give myself, give the chance to play and see what's happening. But it was, no, it was better maybe not to step on the court today.”

When asked if she had shared her decision with her team, the Dutch answered, “They cannot, like, decide for me what I want to do, so they can only see how I feel, but then it's still, like, their opinion. But Raemon said to me, Okay, you just have to feel yourself, what do you want to do? If you cannot make the decision, I will make it for you.

But I said, Okay, I just want to give it a try. I was feeling a little bit better before the match, but then, yeah, what I said, as soon as I started running, then, yeah, everything got out again.”

“It's really bad timing, I would call it maybe that,” Bertens said about her ill conditions. “It's been a great few weeks, and then if you feel like this during a Grand Slam where you felt good, it's just really annoying. I just hope I feel better soon but probably that will be the case."

Along with Bertens, Bianca Andreescu and Kateryna Kozlova have left the women's singles draw by walkover.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2wsGbZ2

No comments