Breaking News

Spanish tennis after Rafael Nadal retirement will be okay - Wilander

In an interview to Plaza Deportiva, the seven-time Grand Slam winner Mats Wilander commented on the future of the Spanish tennis. "The Spanish players after Rafael Nadal, Ferrer and Feliciano Lopez will be doing okay. It may be that it's not the same level but they inspired many younger guys, but hopefully, there will be great Spanish players in the future."

On Wimbledon, Wilander concluded: "My memories of Wimbledon are amazing. I played well on grass and I won the Australian Open thrice, two of them on grass, so I felt well on the surface, but I never went further than the Wimbledon quarter-finals in singles. I also won the doubles in '86 with my best friend Joakim Nystrom, so I have great memories."

He added: "I am doing very well, I am wishing the clay season to come since it's the best time for the men's tennis. The last time I was in Valencia was in 2001 when I coached Marat Safin. It's a great honour to be part of the Senior Masters Cup in Valencia especially because I am the only abroad player who competes in the event."

How is his current life, being away from the competition? "My life is still about tennis. I have a little tennis club here at home, in Hailey, Idaho, United States. It's called Gravity Fitness Tennis, and it's where I teach tennis. I also go to all the Grand Slams working for Eurosport. And, obviously, I play in some tournaments like in Valencia. I keep competing on the ATP Champions Tour and I always enjoy playing in front of the crowd against the retired players. I give tennis lessons all the time at home and I also enjoy working as a tennis commentator."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2PGoXzU

No comments