Breaking News

Stan Wawrinka: 'I wanted to play Laver Cup with Roger Federer, but I won't

In an interview, as quoted by Le Matin, Stan Wawrinka commented on the reasons why he will not play the Laver Cup in Geneva. The Swiss player said: "There were discussions the year before, with Roger Federer earlier and then our respective managers. The last ones took place in Australia. They made me some proposals that I did not agree with. Then they told me that it was their latest offer. But it was clear in my mind that I would not play. I would have liked to be there, it's in Geneva. Both me and Roger wanted me to play. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened. And as I got now committed to St. Petersburg since a few days, my choice is now public."

On his straight-set win over Guido Pella, Wawrinka added: "It was a high-level match, especially on the first set. And on the second, everything was played on my mind. I have been saying it for weeks, it's just this kind of matches I need of: those wins become tougher when I move less well, the player increases his level. There was a lot of pressure in the end. But if I look at the match overall, I was still very solid from the baseline. It's a very good win against a confident player."

He was not happy with the behaviour of some spectators: "All my career, I always looked at what was happening around the court. There are days where I do not really care of what's happening and there are others where I do not accept things like spectators speaking."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2VTeLcS

No comments