Breaking News

Thiem: 'I beat Federer and Nadal this year, the two greatest. Crazy'

In an interview, Dominic Thiem commented on his recent great achievements. "In Indian Wells final I defeated Federer, now Nadal in the Barcelona semifinals. Those are the two greatest players of all time. Crazy." On his win over Daniil Medvedev in the Barcelona Open final, he added: "I was disciplined and I chose the right weapons. Everything was perfectly implemented. In 2014 I played in Barcelona for the first time. I reached the main draw from qualies and I had already dreames a title, but it was so far away. Now I achieved this dream. It's big because Thomas Muster won here twice too. I admire him a lot. I saw the way he trained as a 40-year-old. He beat several players in Austria unbelievable."

On Nadal saying Thiem can become a world No. 1, the Austrian added: "A good praise from Rafa, which honours me a lot. I follow this goal, but it's a rough way. A big challenge."

Only Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Murray won more tournaments than Thiem since 2015. "But they got many more Majors. The French Open title is my life goal. Twice in the semifinals, in 2018 my maiden final. I got good results in Paris, but the event is still far. I will fly to Madrid with my coach Nicolas Massu on Thursday, then Madrid event waits for us." Asked how they celebrated his triumph in Barcelona, Thiem added: "A dinner near the hotel. My father, coaching team and Friends were there. They took a gin and tonic glass to celebrate. Instead just water for me." On the big trophy: "Nice. But I did not bring it with me in the handbag. It will come to my home."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2GU8KmU

No comments