Breaking News

Facing Roger Federer on a big court would have been nice,regrets Berrettini

Matteo Berrettini lost to Casper Ruud in a straight-set French Open second-round match. The Italian would have loved to face Roger Federer in the third round. "It would have been nice to face Federer on a big court, but that didn't take energy out of me. Surely I am sad with the loss, but those losses are useful to grow. I have not had time to watch the match again yet, but I think the key was not to return well. He always managed to put pressure on me and move me from right to left with his forehand. Despite we trained together many times, I did not remember he had such a heavy forehand. I was not brilliant, I tried until the end, but I didn't feel as brilliant as I used to. I think I lost it especially mentally. If I took the two break points on 3-3 in the second set, it could have been probably different. He was good enough to hit a second serve ace and a forehand winner. The match depended on a very few points, making less mistakes would have been better."

Berrettini still takes positives: "Over the last weeks, I faced different strong players like Zverev, Schwartzman, Kohlschreiber and Pouille. Rome is a tournament that takes a lot of energy out of you. Today I felt I had less energy in my tank, the mental aspect was decisive", said Berrettini, who is committed to playing in Stuttgart, Halle, Eastbourne and Wimbledon. However, he may skip one of the first three events.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2Mi25sn

No comments