Breaking News

Croft: Djokovic is Australian Open favorite. Federer is not ready to retire

In an exclusive interview with Tennis World USA, Annabel Croft commented on the upcoming Australian Open. Croft believes Novak Djokovic has higher chances to win his seventh title there, but she warned that the next generation will try harder to make a breakthrough in the tennis elite. 'I'd say he is the favorite from what we saw last year, but the off-season is always an interesting time, with players working on their games, almost a little bit in secret working with their teams,' said Croft. 'The youngsters are really making their ways, we will see a lot more from Zverev, Khachanov, Tsitsipas, De Minaur, Coric, Thiem. It's really a really, really interesting time ahead of the future for the men's tennis.'

Speaking on Roger Federer's future, Croft added: 'To me he is not ready to retire yet. I think he still absolutely loves playing tennis. Three or four years ago, when he had a difficult season and struggled with back issues, I remember him saying "You (the press) all want to put me in retirement, Even if I lose matches I still love playing." I think until he keeps enjoying it and his wife enjoys the travelling and everything, as he said, he will play for a few more years. But one day he will retire and that day will be very sad.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2QAcGAM

No comments