Breaking News

John Isner likely to end season after facing Roger Federer in Laver Cup

John Isner is set to skip the Asian swing and the European indoor hard-court season. The American player competed in Newport last week, he will now play in Atlanta, then Washington, Montreal, Cincinnati and US Open. After that, he will go to Geneva, Switzerland, in order to play for Team World in the Laver Cup from 20 to 22 September. One of his opponents will be, for the second year in a row, Roger Federer. Last year in Chicago they faced each other with the 20-time Grand Slam winner prevailing in a thrilling match. In a press conference on Tuesday Isner said he will not go to Europe again after Laver Cup unless he reaches the ATP Finals in London. "I am very conscious of that," said Isner, who is 14th on the ATP Race. "Until this point, the cost of that injury I haven't really played that much. Now, when I got hurt I had played a lot, it was my fifth tournament in a row. I had some time off but I certainly need to pace myself but Laver Cup is particular, if I am healthy I am definitely going to go there. It's a good chance I have a very long off-season because the schedule in Europe in the late part of the year doesn't really work for me. Right now I am just focused on this tournament."

On how he approaches the Atlanta event, Isner said: "I felt like I have felt more pressure after I have won this tournament two or three times, maybe trying to win it four. Now it's more like, I won it five times, that's a lot, so winning six would be awesome but if I don't win it for the sixth time this year, that's okay too."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/30U6tQN

No comments