Breaking News

Elise Mertens: It was actually a tough match

No.25 seed Elise Mertens reached her maiden US Open quarterfinals after thrashing Kristie Ahn in straight sets 6-1, 6-1.

“I'm just trying to focus every time I step on court, just trying to look at point per point,” Mertens said. “I was trying to play aggressive, trying to improve myself. That's probably the main key. Just try to focus throughout the whole match.”

She further added, "I try to improve every time. I try to invest in my game. It's coming out this week and hopefully I can go much further than this."

Speaking about the match, Mertens added, “It was actually a tough match,” Mertens admitted. “I didn't really expect me to play so well in the first set probably. I was really playing aggressive, really not letting her into those rallies because she kind of likes to get right, left, into those rallies. Just trying to fight the way through it.”

She next takes on Bianca Andreescu from Canada, who took out local player Taylor Townsend in three well contested sets. Like Mertens, Andreescu too is through her maiden US Open quarterfinals.

“Andreescu has an all-around game. She's on fire when she's on the court. It's going to be really tough either way,” Mertens spoke of the Canadian.

Mertens has been in imperious form at the US Open this year, dropping just 16 games in her four matches.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2zMCJKr

No comments