Breaking News

Gael Monfils: It is always something special with me

France's Gael Monfils days it is "always something special with me" after edging  out Canadian Denis Shapovalov in one of the best US Open third round matches. 

Monfils, seeded at No. 13, prevailed over rising star Shapovalov 6-7 (5) 7-6 (4) 6-4 6-7 (6) 6-3 in three hours and 55 minutes of play. 

Luckily for the 33-year-old Frenchman, he didn't pay the price for blowing a big four-set lead as Shapovalov came from two breaks down in the fourth set to force a decider. 

"I think people love me because I play with my heart. I fight. It’s always something special with me,” Monfils said after the match, as revealed on the ATP website. “You never know how and what I can do on the court. I think that's why the people like that, a little bit [of] mystery part of me."

Monfils, a 2016 US Open semifinalist, plays next against world No. 70 Pablo Andujar -- who won his last two matches at the US Open in straight sets. 

"I like the way I am now. I like the way the crowd is behind me. I love the energy here. I'm happy," Monfils added. 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2kbmO4b

No comments