Breaking News

Johanna Konta: It was important not to panic or be worried

Continuing her amazing form in Grand Slams this season, Brit Jo Konta is determined to keep her form going and not take anything lightly. Konta reached the semi-finals of the French Open this year, as well as a Wimbledon quarter-final, and she can now add a quarter-final at Flushing Meadows following a comeback win over Karolina Pliskova in the Round of 16.

Speaking about the comeback in this match, she said, “It was important not to panic or be worried. I was doing a lot of good things out there and I kept into perspective I was playing the number three player in the world.”

“I was pleased with what I was doing in that first set, even though I wasn’t able to come through, and I definitely felt there was a lot for me to build on. I trust in my ability to create more opportunities and I managed to do that.”

Konta is now the first British woman to reach the US Open quarter-finals since Jo Durie 36 years ago. “I’m really pleased with that and, more specifically, this season to make it three quarter-finals in successive Grand Slams is a tremendous achievement. I will enjoy this but I have to keep looking forward and try to go one, two or three steps further.”

She ended by saying, “I’ve reached the fourth round for the first time and to go one step further is a massive achievement for me. I’m hoping to go one or two more steps better than that.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2zObVsU

No comments