Breaking News

Serena Williams: 'Last year me and Naomi Osaka were comforting each other'

Serena Williams commented on Naomi Osaka and Cori Gauff's joint on court interview on Saturday at the US Open. The 23-time Major winner said: "I thought it was so sweet and so amazing. Generally I try to be really sweet after the match. I mean, last year obviously I was comforting Osaka, she was comforting me. There has been many a time I have been extremely outgoing towards my opponent, because at the end of the day we're all human and we see each other sometimes more than I see my family. It's so important I think to have bonds and to at least have people that you bond with like several people that I bond with. I'm in weddings of some of them. It's like a real extended family. I was so excited to see that."

Roger Federer spoke about how he's evolved from being a teenager to being 38. How has Serena gone about evolving to some degree over the last 20 years? "Yeah, it's been quite an evolution. You know, I feel like my outfit's pretty much the same (smiling) as it was 19 years ago. Maybe I should have evolved a little bit more."

Asked if she is thinking about winning the title, Williams replied: "I can't afford to look at it that way. Every single match I have played, people come and they plan their best. The women that I play are not generally playing at this level against other players in the locker room, so for me, I have to be the greatest whether it's against the second seed, the No. 1 seed, or the No. 80th player in the world. I have to show up or else I'm going to go home. I feel like in this tournament, I guess, I have definitely turned a different zone. I'm not sure if I can articulate what zone that is. But it's not about kind, it's not to myself, it's not about anything in particular. It's definitely something different, though."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2HAYqkM

No comments