Breaking News

Sumit Nagal: At one point of this year I had only six dollars in my wallet

World No. 190 Sumit Nagal reveals at one point of this season he had only six dollars left in his wallet as the Viral Kohli Foundation has played a key role in him still being able to play tennis professionally. 

Nagal, 22, made his Grand Slam debut at the US Open after earning a place in the main draw through the qualifying event. 

The Indian picked up a first round exit at the US Open but still it was a memorable Grand Slam debut as he got to play against Swiss Roger Federer on one of the biggest courts in the world. 

The 22-year-old won a set against Federer before falling down to the record 20-time Grand Slam champion 4-6 6-1 6-2 6-4. 

Nagal earned $58,000 for his first round showing at Flushing Meadows. 

"If I didn't have Virat Kohli supporting me, I don't know what I would have done," Nagal told The Times of India. "Earlier this year, when I was flying from Canada to Germany after a tournament, I had six dollars in my wallet... just six dollars after the help I have been getting, so imagine what a mess I just have been before. 

"But I survived, and things are getting better. If people fund athletes, it will only help the sport flourish."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2zHI5GC

No comments