Breaking News

There is a reason why Daniil Medvedev beat Novak Djokovic, says Koepfer

Dominik Koepfer lost to Daniil Medvedev in a four-set fourth round match at the US Open. The German player, analyzing his loss, said: "I think I always had to believe that I could win it. I know he's 5 in the world, maybe 4 in the world, I don't even know. He's a great player, had a great couple of weeks. I felt good out there. Started off not too nervous, I thought. It was pretty good. And then second set, I mean, like I say, he can play, like, a break doesn't mean anything. There is a reason why he beat Djokovic two weeks ago. He's one of the best players right now on tour. I wouldn't say I lost the break because I was thinking about it. I just maybe played a little too defensive and made him make me run a lot. Overall I think he just beat me at the end, and obviously the tiebreak wasn't that good. Could have done better. Started off with a double fault, wasn't ideal. But overall I thought nerves weren't in the way. I played free. I played pretty good tennis, I thought. I fought every point. Little tired second and third set, I thought, and somehow found it in the fourth, and then, yeah, I just went down."

Medvedev said he took painkillers because of shoulder issues. Did Koepfer notice it during the match? "Breakpoints, he still aced me, so I guess his shoulder felt all right (smiling). Yeah, obviously he played three long matches now, four. It's normal that everything starts hurting a little bit. I guess he was good enough to beat me today."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/32ngzdS

No comments