Breaking News

Denis Shapovalov: Leading Canada at Davis Cup Finals is honour for me

Canadian tennis star Denis Shapovalov says it's crazy that only a few years ago he was playing junior events and now he is set to lead his country at the inaugural Davis Cup Finals. 

The 20-year-old has arrived in Madrid with lots of confidence under his belt as he has enjoyed a strong end to the season. 

The Canadian claimed his maiden ATP title in Stockholm last month, before falling just short to world No. 2 Novak Djokovic in the Paris Masters final. 

Shapovalov, the 2016 Wimbledon boys' singles champion, is now the top-ranked Canadian player as he is enjoying a career-high ranking of No. 15 in the world. 

"It feels quick,” Shapovalov told the Davis Cup Finals. “Just a couple of years ago I was playing all these junior events – Wimbledon, Davis Cup – and now it’s completely different. I’m No.15 in the world, leading the country. It’s an honour for me, and I’m super-excited. Any time I get the chance to play for Canada and represent my country, it’s a privilege. It’s amazing to be here and be able to give my best."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/37ec7kJ

No comments