Breaking News

Dominic Thiem after win over Novak Djokovic: 'Probably my best match ever'

Dominic Thiem was overwhelmed after his win over Novak Djokovic at the ATP Finals in London. The Austrian player said: "Probably it was maybe the best match I ever played. It was a real classic and epic match which will happen from time to time at these big tournaments. It had everything what a match like this needs. He was up; I was up. He was playing amazing points. Me, I was playing amazing points. And then I think the match deserved an end in the third-set tiebreak. Well, there it's, I think, if we are playing two hours 45, two top 10 players, it's only about luck, and it was a little bit more on my side today in the third-set tiebreak. But I'm really happy and proud, because as I said before, it was probably the best match I ever played."

On his aggressive gamestyle, Thiem added: "I knew that I had to play like this to beat him. Against everybody who qualified for this tournament here, there is a special effort necessary to win. I did it against Roger, and I did it also today. Probably Novak is the best player in the world right now, so I had to do something outstanding, something unusual, and that's what I did. I mean, I was hitting really, really hard. Well, 51 winners against him is a great number (smiling)."

Thiem will face the Italian Matteo Berrettini on Thursday.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2QaJDCm

No comments