Breaking News

Featuring Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, ATP Cup to be 'monster event'

Speaking to reporters at the ATP Finals in London on Wednesday the ATP Chief Executive Chris Kermode spoke about the new ATP Cup that will feature the likes of Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic in January 2020 in Australia. “I think in five years you’ll look at the ATP Cup, and you’ll think that really was quite special. It will be a monster event", said Kermode.

He believes that big progresses have been made over the years: “I arrived in a very toxic prize-money negotiation between players and promoters. I voted the biggest single increase for players in the history of the Tour. So obviously I wasn’t the tournament’s favourite person for quite a while after that. That’s why it’s a miracle I got a second term", said Kermode who will be replaced by the Italian Andrea Gaudenzi. “In the North American system you have players unions battling against promoters and every five years there is collective bargaining, it’s incredibly toxic, a big fight and there is always talk of walkouts. With (our) structure players have a voice constantly at the table. For players to lose that would be a big mistake.”

Meanwhile Daniil Medvedev analyzed the difference between his performances against Stefanos Tsitsipas and Rafael Nadal: "I played much better today. Still was far from what I want, but I played much better today. I mean, still have one match to go. Not sure if it's going to mean anything in terms of going to semis, but just going to try to play even better."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/33PEEv0

No comments