Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'Djokovic and Nadal deserve to be ranked higher this year'

Roger Federer spoke about how it felt to hand Rafael Nadal the year-end No. 1 rankings position by beating Novak Djokovic.

"I'm sure he was watching", said the Swiss referring to the Spaniard, "but I have been there before, so at the end of the day, I'm trying to play a good tournament myself. I knew there was a lot on the line for Novak today. If he wouldn't have won Wimbledon, maybe he wouldn't have even gotten to that, to be quite honest. That's what I was telling myself, too. Because he beat me at Wimbledon, actually Novak was as close as he was. And Rafa has had an unreal of a stretch, as well. Both guys have had great years. I'm happy I was able to beat both this year, but they both deserve to be ranked higher than me this year. But, yeah, it was a good day for tennis. I'm sure to some extent, not because I beat Novak but the race of World No. 1 was riding on the match, as well, and the atmosphere in the building was very, very nice. I was able to produce under pressure, and I was trying to remind myself to play with less pressure than what Novak had throughout the game, and it worked. I'm very happy. I'm very pleased."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2OjNomK

No comments