Breaking News

Tsitsipas can overcome Federer, Nadal or Djokovic on rankings - Father

In an interview, Stefanos Tsitsipas' father Apostolos said the Greek player will try to overcome Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic in the rankings. Apostolos said: "I think the next goal is the top three rankings. Stefanos doesn't have to defend too many points and he will have the opportunity to gain many. His mind is already focusing on the Olympics. He loves this tournament. I think he is mentally ready to play and he can get a big result there. Hopefully, he is fit. But our next goal is the Australian Open. Of course, we are happy for the great success in London but in tennis we consistently have tournaments."

On Stefanos' sacrifices to get to the top of tennis, Apostolos added: "I cannot speak of sacrifices when it comes to do what he loves, it means playing tennis. But he sacrificed friends and school. He studied online. He had to sacrifice school if he wanted to become a professional tennis player."

Meanwhile, Mexican doubles player Santiago Gonzalez spoke about Federer: "Hopefully, before he retires he can come to Acapulco, I think he left the city with good feelings so that he can come back to Acapulco or Los Cabos or go on holidays."

Pablo Carreno Busta commented on his Davis Cup memories: "Juan Carlos Ferrero's win over Lleyton Hewitt was one of the first tennis matches I saw on TV, I always dreamed of winning this event. I remember when at 15 years of age I had to leave home to go to Barcelona to seek a dream. Now I was training for almost two weeks in Madrid preparing for the competition but training is not the same thing as competing. I started being nervous and I struggled physically from the beginning of the second set. The match lasted three hours and I could not play the following day. I was amazed by Rafael Nadal's effort, playing basically two matches all days, and with Roberto Bautista Agut who despite he got a bad news, gave us a life lesson winning the first match of the final, which is something not human."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2LbrBfU

No comments