Breaking News

Is Rafael Nadal the all-time one to defeat since his victory at the Mexican Open?

     It seems like so long ago Rafael Nadal had withdrawn from teh 2019 Indian Wells tournament, disgusted because a chronic tendinitis ailment in his right knee stoppe dhis training and competitive season. "I found that my knee was not good to compete at the level that I need to compete...in a semifinal match..." Nadal had said sorrowfully. It was a bad time for the 'King of Clay', both physically and emotionally. "For me, it's not about only today. It's about what it means for me to pull out...in a tournament I love so much...You can imagine that I can't be happy," he'd say.

     But what a diffeence a year can make. Today, Rafael Nadal is smiling and holding his 3rd Mexican Open title of his career. One was back in 2005, the other 2013 both on clay. He's captured his 85th singles career title and the first one of the 2020 season. It was a straight set title win just over an hour against Taylor Fritz 6-3, 6-2, a decade younger than his Spaniard opponent who was overjoyed of the victory. "I couldn't be happier.  played great from beginning to end...Acapulco was the first big title that I won in my career, so to be able to stay here after 15 years is amazing," he'd say with a big grin. It was no denying that Nadal's game is still sharp not only in playing the top 5, but also the younger and NextGen guys. Taylor Fritz couldn't hold up to the Spaniard who hadn't dropped a set the entire tournament and says with gratitude that "He's one of the best players to ever play the game and he showed me why that is tonight." Fritz may be one of the younger players on tour but he also showed no shame with blasting Nadal his 10 best aces to still fall to the iconic Spaniard.

     With Roger Federer out of action, it remains only Nadal and Novak Djokovic hanging tight as the top 3 to make it over hurdles in the win column. Nadal is proving like fine wine that he is only getting better and smoother over time. He is showing that he can defeat any player and their style -- no matter what!



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3anjmHU

No comments