Breaking News

Lyon Open: Top-seed Sofia Kenin starts off with a win, moves into second round

Top-seed Sofia Kenin opened her Lyon campaign on a successful note with a 6-4, 6-3 first-round win over Vitalia Diatchenko on Wednesday. The American, who had a couple of off weeks after her Australian Open winning run, needed an hour and 24 minutes to get the victory.

Speaking after the match, Kenin said, “I didn't have the best two weeks. But I had some tough opponents on a streak of playing some hot tennis and I was close, so it wasn't like I lost to someone who was no good. I'm just happy to have gotten the win. I'm happy, I played a really good match - she's such a tough player, so I'm really proud of myself – it's a good way to kick things off.”

Kenin will play Jaqueline Cristian in the second round.

Another player who played her first-round match on Wednesday was France’s Oceane Dodin. Dodin defeated Mandy Minella 6-4, 6-4 in the opening round in an hour and 35 minutes. Later, Dodin also received a walkover into the quarter-finals after her second-round opponent, Jil Teichmann withdrew from the tournament with an injury to her right ankle.

In the second-round results, third seed Caroline Garcia defeated Ysaline Bonaventure 7-5, 6-2 in 80 minutes. Garcia will play fifth seed Alison Van Uytvanck in the quarter-finals. Van Uytvanck won against Viktoriya Tomova 3-6, 6-4, 7-6(2) in two hours and 20 minutes.

Italian Camila Giorgi upset fourth seed, Alize Cornet, in their second-round clash. Giorgi won 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-2 in two hours and 33 minutes. She will play either seventh seed Daria Kasatkina or Irina Bara in the quarter-finals.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2PKgsFi

No comments