Breaking News

In Roger Federer's words: 'I'm one of the favorites at Wimbledon, can't wait to..'

Starting the season ranked 13th, Roger Federer was eager to finally crack the top-10 in 2002, winning the title in Sydney and reaching the first Masters 1000 final in Miami. He lost that one to Andre Agassi in four sets, barely missing a chance to join the elite and having to wait for a couple of weeks more for that to happen after early exits in Monte Carlo and Hamburg. After Hamburg, the Swiss star became the top-10 player following the title he won, defeating Marat Safin in the final and heading to Roland Garros as world no. 8. Hicham Arazi ousted Roger in straight sets in Paris, with the youngster switching focus to his beloved grass swing, playing Halle and s-Hertogenbosch before Wimbledon. Nicolas Kiefer halted the Swiss in the semi-final in Halle before he made a winning start in s-Hertogenbosch, beating a former Wimbledon champion Richard Krajicek 6-2, 7-5 in less than an hour. Speaking about his chances at Wimbledon, Roger said he is among the favorites after a great run in 2001 that saw him beating Pete Sampras and reaching the quarter-final. Still, he noted there are too many great players out there who want the title as well, predicting a tight race towards the most prestigious trophy of our sport."

"I'm looking forward to competing at Wimbledon again; this year is special to me because I have now played my matches on the Centre Court, that was always my dream. With the pleasant experience from last year, beating Pete Sampras and everything, I'm thrilled to come back. I'm one of the favorites and hopefully, I can play well. Grass court is a tough surface to master; a few big points can decade matches sometimes. I hope that I can pass the first couple of rounds and find my way into the tournament. I had already played well in Halle last week and will continue this week in s-Hertogenbosch in another lead-up event for Wimbledon, trying to get as many matches as possible. I feel like I have a good chance of winning Wimbledon but so many other players also want the title; it's going to be very tough to win. I think five or even ten players can win Wimbledon this year. Patrick Rafter is not playing, so as Goran Ivanisevic, both finalists from last year. So that helps other players and me; we will see who can take a chance and go all the way."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2KdsqE6

No comments