Breaking News

Jo Wilfried Tsonga not afraid of retirement

Former world No. 5 Jo Wilfried Tsonga says he is well aware that he won't be around for too long as he has recently spoken to French basketball legend Tony Parker to ask him for some advice about retirement.

Tsonga, the 2008 Australian Open runner-up, turned 35 this past Friday and his last years on the Tour have been all but ideal as he has struggled with various injuries in recent years.

The start to this season wasn't promising either as the Frenchman injured his back in his second match of the season and that forced him to retire mid-match his first round clash at the Australian Open against Alexei Popyrin.

As the 35-year-old was preparing to make a comeback, the ATP suspended the Tour because of the coronavirus pandemic. 

Tsonga, an 18-time ATP champion, believes he will be just fine after his professional tennis career ends as he has taken interest in some other things.

"Before the suspension, I was injured and in a complicated situation," Tsonga told beIN SPORTS, as revealed on We Love Tennis France.

"I will take time to work and get back in shape to resume as best I can when possible. 

"Retirement? I imagine it very well, I have discussed it a lot with other athletes, including Tony Parker recently. I am prepared for this, as I have taken the time in recent years to take an interest in other things, to have other projects, I am not afraid of the moment when it will stop. 

"The only thing I have in mind is to stop in good conditions, in an honorable way and that is what motivates me. I train hard every day."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2KiT26I

No comments