Breaking News

Massu analyzes Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic for Dominic Thiem

Since January 2019, Dominic Thiem has improved his combined win-loss record against the Big Three from 7-15 to 14-18. One considerable variable to take into account to understand this change is the introduction of Chilean Nicolas Massu, former World No. 9, in the Austrian’s team.

Taking advantage of the Tour suspension that has frozen all tennis activities, the ATP interviewed Massu to understand more about how determinant is his role in the two-time French Open finalist’s team.

"I played against each of them three [Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic] many years ago," Massu told ATPTour. “And I have passed that experience to Dominic. But tennis is also evolving, and I have had to continue analyzing them. They are the players that I have studied the most in my life. Because if you don't, it's hard to beat them.”

How exactly does the Chilean coach study his athlete's major opponents?

“Since I was a boy I always liked to analyze my rivals. And I spent many hours at the club watching how the rest of the players played, both the next one and others I could face in the future. I would learn their latest results, their rankings, would ask about them while having lunch. I tried to find out what new the top players were doing, and also inquired about those who barely made it to the circuit. And as a coach I am still the same, I like to be aware of every detail. Now, in addition, I have all the benefits of technology. And I try to make the most of it.” 



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/34IoyEH

No comments