Breaking News

Nicolas Almagro: 'I had a successful career that could have been better but also..'

The winner of 13 ATP titles and almost 400 matches on the ATP Tour, Nicolas Almagro was forced to end his career at home in Murcia last year, sidelined from the top-100 since the summer of 2017 and struggling with constant injuries, especially with a left knee. The Murcia native is a former world no. 9 and the four-time Major quarter-finalist, losing them all to Rafael Nadal at Roland Garros and David Ferrer in Melbourne after a five-setter. Nicolas reached all of his 23 ATP finals on beloved clay, scoring almost 300 victories on his favorite surface and having a chance to play on it regularly after becoming tennis academy director at La Manga Club at home in Murcia.

With the coronavirus pandemic, that's not possible at the moment but Almagro has found other things to make himself busy, helping his wife with their two kids and doing things he couldn't while he was still active. Before the pandemic, Nicolas was in touch with three young American players, helping them to become professionals and also sharing his experience with the event in Acapulco where he claimed titles before. That has been put on hold at the moment but the Spaniard is still happy with his current life, saying he left tennis at the right moment and his terms, as he couldn't endure the efforts anymore after so many setbacks. 

"I'm quite relaxed during quarantine, spending time with my wife and two children at home. I have a peaceful life as a retired player and I still try to help tournaments like Acapulco, joining their organization. Also, I have been working with players who have asked for my help en route to becoming professionals. I'm helping three players from the USA, age 15-18, trying to improve and speed up their progress. I liked the idea of working with them but the current situation means we haven't been able to work on our plans and goals. From the ATP Tour, I think I'm missing that adrenaline of competition the most, going from one hundred to zero. Still, I don't think much about that, switching my focus to kids and their education.

When I was still active, we had traveled a lot, going to different places all the time. We miss that but it also meant I couldn't be at home for more than two weeks in a row; that has changed now. It's a different kind of life, helping with kids at home and I hope to enjoy it as much as I did while competing. They are still small but if they ask in the future, my wife and I will show them what their dad achieved in his career. If they decided to play tennis, I would be more than ready to help them without controlling everything; they will have other coaches. I only want them to be happy and will support any decision they make. I left the Tour very satisfied, retiring at the time I wanted to as I didn't feel fit to play anymore. I had a very successful career that could have been better but also worse; it was my way of living my life and I think I have achieved much more than I ever dreamed of."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3bk6aob

No comments