Breaking News

Simona Halep: "I'm starting to think that this year will be canceled"

Simona Halep is not optimistic about the resumption of the 2020 tennis season. The long stop of the tennis Tour was officially extended until 13 July due to the COVID-19 pandemic, that is putting the whole planet in crisis. New York, the city that hosts the US Open, is dealing with over 149,000 COVID-19 positive cases. We all have in mind the tragic images of mass graves in the American metropolis, due to the many deaths that the city is facing.

Halep, in an interview, talked about her doubts about the rest of the season: "The worst scenario in my head is that this year will be canceled. I'm sure this period will pass, especially if we listen to the indications and stay safe at home. I think the break will be longer, I don't think we will resume in July. I had never had such a feeling, so I don't know what to expect. However, the most important thing in tennis is the legs. I have to keep running and keep my muscles active so I can move well on the tennis court."

In the meantime, the official news came in about the women's tournament at the Rogers Cup. Due to the lockdown in Quebec, the women's tournament has also canceled. The entire American swing is at risk, including the US Open.

Here is Rogers Cup's press release about the women's singles: "Following the measures imposed by government authorities in the province of Quebec, Tennis Canada announces the postponement of the Rogers Cup in Montreal. The tournament will take place from August 6 to 15, 2021, as Montreal will host the women's event."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2RTTkFF

No comments