Breaking News

Thiem's 7 organizers still open to welcoming Grigor Dimitrov e Borna Coric to event

Thiem's 7 organizers have said they are open to welcoming Bulgarian tennis star Grigor Dimitrov and world No. 33 Borna Coric to the event if they test negative after 14 days of home isolation. 

Thiem's 7 -- an event organized by world No. 3 Dominic Thiem -- is set to feature a star-studded field as Thiem, Dimitrov, Coric, Matteo Berrettini, Gael Monfils, Andrey Rublev, Karen Khachanov and Dennis Novak have signed up to play. 

The event is set to take place from July 7-11 in Kitzbuhel. 

But unfortunately for the tournament organizers, they have suffered a blow.

"If Dimitrov and Coric show a negative test result after 14 days of home isolation, we are open to welcoming them in Kitzbuhel. Their management will decide whether they play during the next days," the organizers said, per Lukas Zahrer.

On Sunday evening, world No. 19 Dimitrov announced via his Instagram account that he had tested positive for the coronavirus in Monaco. 

Dimitrov, the 2017 Nitto ATP Finals champion, participated at the Adria Tour event in Zadar over the weekend. 

The Bulgarian played his opening match at the event on Saturday afternoon and he easily lost to Coric after feeling unwell. 

Dimitrov then pulled out of his Saturday evening clash but hoped he would feel better the next day and return to action on Sunday. 

But that wasn't the case as the Bulgarian withdrew from his Sunday match and returned to his home in Monaco. 

The same night Coric was tested for the coronavirus and his tests came back positive. 

Grigor Dimitrov and Coric 'sorry' after testing positive 

"Hi everyone. I want to reach out and let my fans and friends know that I tested positive back in Monaco for Covid-19. I want to make sure anyone who has been in contact with me during these past days gets tested and takes the necessary precautions. I am so sorry for any harm I might have caused. I am back home now and recovering. Thanks for your support and please stay safe and healthy," Dimitrov said in an Instagram post. 

Meanwhile, Coric announced: "Hi everyone, I wanted to inform you all that I tested positive for Covid-19. I want to make sure anyone who has been in contact with me during the last few days gets tested! I am really sorry for any harm I might have caused! I'm feeling well and don't have any symptoms. Please stay safe and healthy! Lots of love to all!"

It remains to be seen if Grigor Dimitrov and Coric will participate in Thiem's 7.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2YZuIOd

No comments