Breaking News

2020 US Open: Petra Kvitova, Angelique Kerber win; Mladenovic stunned

Sixth seed Petra Kvitova reached the third round of the 2020 US Open with a 7-6(3), 6-2 win over Kateryna Kozlova of Ukraine on Wednesday. Kvitova needed an hour and 41 minutes to complete the match.

It was a slow start for the Czech who went down a break in the first set before turning the set – and the match – around. Talking about her start in the match, Kvitova said, “In the first set, it was kind of tough. I was really fighting a little bit the opponent, but with myself as well. There was a lot of nerves over there. I lost my serve and I was still down, and I still tried to come back and answer.”

She went to add, “When I won the tiebreak in the first set, it's been a little bit easier. I was more relaxed, more, kind of, calmer. That really helped me. Beginning of the second set I got the break, and it was a little bit easier for me to -- I was breathing a little bit more free.”

Kvitova will play Jessica Pegula in the round-of-32. The American defeated Kirsten Flipkens 7-6(1), 6-7(3), 6-3 in their second-round match.

Former world no. 1 Angelique Kerber was the winner of the Germany derby against Laura Siegemund. The 17th seed won 6-3, 7-6(3) in an hour and 40 minutes. Next up for her is American Ann Li, who won the American derby and upset the 13th seed Alison Riske 6-0, 6-3.

2020 US Open: Varvava Gracheva's momentous feat

Croatian Petra Martic, seeded eighth in the draw, also moved into the third round. Martic defeated Kateryna Bondarenko in straight sets 6-3, 6-4 in one hour and 22 minutes. Martic’s next opponent is Russia’s Varvara Gracheva, who ousted the 30th seed from France, Kristina Mladenovic.

Gracheva produced a scintillating comeback while down 1-6, 1-5 with Mladenovic serving for the match. The Russian went on to win 1-6, 7-6(2), 6-0 in two hours and 13 minutes.

The Frenchwoman, who was one of the 11 players who had had to “live within a bubble inside the bubble” after coming in contact with countryman Benoit Paire who tested positive for Covid-19, was visibly upset after the match. Criticising the USTA, speaking with French media, Mladenovic commented, “It’s a nightmare what we are experiencing here. I have only one desire, and that’s to get my freedom back and even that we don’t have yet.”

She added, “If I had known that playing cards for 40 minutes with a mask with a player who tested positive and ultimately negative would have these consequences, I would never have set foot in this tournament.”

Aliaksandra Sasnovic also produced another upset in the second round of the 2020 US Open. The Belarusian ousted 12th seed Marketa Vondrousova 6-1, 6-2 in just 62 minutes. Sasnovich will play the 23rd seed Yulia Putintseva next. The Kazakhstani won her second round against Vera Lapko 6-3, 6-3, also of Belarus.

Photo Credit: Petra Kvitova Twitter



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/32PfbCM

No comments