Breaking News

Venus Williams: I’m pretty happy with how I played. She just played a little better

Seven-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams said she was happy with her game and credited her opponent for playing better after losing her first round match at the US Open on Tuesday. Williams lost to the No. 20 seed Karolina Muchova, of the Czech Republic, 6-3, 7-5, on the Arthur Ashe Stadium.

This marked the first time that Venus had lost in the first round of the US Open. Williams is a two-time champion in the tournament - winning in 2000 and 2001 and reached the final of the event on her debut in 1997.

Venus Williams says she continues to remain motivated after first round exit

Speaking to the media after her loss, Williams said she continues to remain motivated, despite the latest setback. "I love this game. I’m good at what I do. So it’s easy to stay motivated and excited about doing something so amazing. I’ve always wanted to do this. I’ve been fortunate and blessed to be someone who’s gotten a chance to do that.”

“It’s been a really fast-paced summer, just having to start very quickly. … But to be honest, I’m really happy with my game. I don’t think I played badly tonight, just needed to start faster than what I did. I’m pretty happy with how I played. She just played a little better.

“We both served very well. I made more unforced errors than she did and I just ran out of time tonight.”

Despite the exit, Williams' appearance at the US Open was historic - it marked her 86th appearance in the singles main draw of a Grand Slam, which is the most major appearances by any player at a major. Sister Serena Williams is No. 2 on the list for women as she makes her 75th appearance in a Grand Slam event. Roger Federer is No. 1 on the men's list with 79 appearances in Grand Slams.

She was also playing in the U.S. Open for a 22nd time - equalling the record for most appearances at the US Open with American Jimmy Connors.

Venus Williams also said that she was already looking forward to having a little rest before the clay court season coming up in Europe.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3hX4LHp

No comments