Breaking News

Novak Djokovic 'super happy and excited' after making Belgrade final

World No. 1 Novak Djokovic couldn't hide his happiness after reaching the final in front of his home fans at the Serbia Open in Belgrade. 

Djokovic, seeded at No. 1, survived a tricky Belgrade semifinal as he beat Slovak Andrej Martin in three sets 6-1 4-6 6-0. 

Djokovic also played at the first edition of the Serbia Open last month but back then he didn't make the final as he suffered a surprise loss to Aslan Karatsev in the semifinal. 

“I’m super excited to play in front of a Serbian crowd. This is my home town. I’m always excited, but also nervous, coming out on the court and playing in front of my home crowd,” Djokovic said in an on-court interview, per the ATP website. “It’s a very unique feeling. You feel a lot of pressure and expectations. But I’m just happy to fight for a trophy tomorrow.”

Djokovic lost his focus in the second set 

Djokovic was up by a break and a set but Martin then claimed back-to-back breaks to overturn a 4-3 second-set deficit and force a decider. 

However, Djokovic regained his focus as he stormed past the third set to make the Belgrade final. 

“I thought I started and finished the match really well, so I’ll try to take those positive feelings into tomorrow’s final,” Djokovic said. “I also had some letdowns in concentration towards the end of the second set, and I’ll try to correct those mistakes for tomorrow.”

After finishing runner-up at the Rome Masters two weeks ago, Djokovic said: "I'm hoping I can go all the way there, playing at home, most likely we are going to see the crowd in the stands, so that's going to be fantastic to kind of feed off that energy, to go to Paris with good feelings on the court, off the court, spend some time with the family additionally which I wouldn't get if I go earlier to Paris."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/34sROAc

No comments