Breaking News

'They are taking a bit of Rafael Nadal’s confidence away from...', says legend

Rafael Nadal will have the opportunity to become the player with the most Slam career wins at Roland Garros. The Spanish champion is still at 20 Majors just like Roger Federer, but in Paris he will once again be the all-time favorite and will try to do everything possible to reach this historic record. "I am not preparing for Roland Garros 2021 just thinking that it is a way to overtake Roger Federer and become the player with the most Grand Slam titles, but I think it is perhaps the most important tournament of my career. Obviously I'd like to get to 21, but that's not the only thing that motivates me in Paris. In the last month I have grown a lot, winning a historic tournament like Rome gives me confidence, I really think I needed a week like that at the Foro Italico. The day I feel no pressure I think it will be time to say goodbye to tennis. Without that kind of emotion it is difficult for me to play at the highest level, it is a personal person as I want to play well and I know things are difficult to achieve. I hope to have the opportunity to play my tennis again for a long time and remain competitive. "Nadal finally focused on the challenges to his two greatest rivals, Federer and Novak Djokovic. "The way I face each challenge has changed a bit with age, now I have a different approach. Compared to a few years ago I have more passion for this sport, maybe it will be the experience too. Roger, Novak and I have been fighting for a long time and we have great mutual respect for our results, it is really difficult to get the results that the three of us have achieved together”. We recall that Federer himself will also participate in the French Open, who returned to the field in Doha last March and will arrive in Paris with only two tournaments and three games played in the last year and a half.

Mats Wilander on the 2021 French Open

Mats Wilander believes Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic are beginning to lose their grip on the sport in the face of the NextGen's steady rise. Wilander also reckons that some of the younger players could give Nadal and Djokovic a difficult time in the early rounds of the French Open this year. "Novak and Rafa look more vulnerable each year,” Wilander said. “The younger guys are hitting the ball so hard on both sides, they have big serves and they are taking a bit of Rafa and Novak’s confidence away from them. The only ammunition left is they (Nadal and Djokovic) have the experience of playing five sets and coming through," Wilander added. "That’s the advantage they still have over the rest, but clearly the gap is closing."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3wGEeoF

No comments