Breaking News

Andrey Rublev: No expectations, I've got nothing to lose in Vienna

Russian tennis star Andrey Rublev said a good start to his Vienna opener meant a lot as it was the key in his straight-set win over qualifier Norbert Gombos. 

Rublev, who is enjoying a career-high ranking of No. 8 in the world, made a convincing start to his Vienna campaign as he saw off Gombos 6-3 6-2 to book a round-of-16 spot. 

Rublev made a strong start to the match, having taken an early 3-0 lead. 

The Russian saved three game points in the second game, before converting his second break point to earn the first break of the match. 

Rublev then routinely held on to his serve for the rest of the set to win the opener. 

In the second set, Rublev claimed two breaks and faced no break points to get the job done in two sets. 

"I was really lucky to start [well] from the beginning, it gave me more confidence,” said Rublev in an on-court interview, per the ATP website. “Each game, I was playing better and better. At the end of the match, I finished with a good level.”

Rublev has no expectations in Vienna 

Rublev, who has won four titles this season, insists he is not pressuring himself to make a good result in Vienna.

"I have no expectations at all [in Vienna]. Just to give my best in every match and we will see what happens,” Rublev claimed. “I did already a really great season, so [there is] nothing to lose.”

Elsewhere, Frances Tiafoe made a positive start to his campaign in Nur-Sultan as he beat rising French star Corentin Moutet 6-3 6-2.

"I played really well tonight,” Tiafoe said in an on-court interview. “I was really intense from the beginning… I am just happy I came and took care of business.”

Tiafoe plays next against world No. 40 Miomir Kecmanovic, who had a first round bye in Nur-Sultan as the second seed. 

"[Miomir] is one of my better friends on Tour,” Tiafoe noted. “He is a year younger than me and we have had a couple of good matches before. He has been playing really good. He is around his career high right now and I am climbing back. Obviously, we wouldn’t usually play in the second round of an ATP 250, but it is the way it is right now. It is going to be a really good match.”



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2TwywUT

No comments