Breaking News

Vienna Director not happy with Novak Djokovic's comments after Lorenzo Sonego loss

Vienna tournament director Herwig Straka admitted that he wasn't thrilled with the comments world No. 1 Novak Djokovic made after his stunning defeat in the Vienna quarterfinal.

Djokovic, seeded at No. 1 in the Vienna main draw, suffered a 6-2 6-1 loss to Italian Lorenzo Sonego -- probably the most surprising scoreline of the season. 

Sonego broke Djokovic twice in the first set, three times in the second set and dropped no service games en route to a dominant win over Djokovic.

"Yes, clinching the year-end No. 1 ranking had an effect on me today. I’ve done what I came here for, securing the number 1. And I move completely fine with today’s result. I'm healthy and looking forward to a strong finish in London," Djokovic admitted after losing to Sonego. 

When asked about those comments, Straka didn't appear to be too thrilled.

"I find such statements unnecessary - even when you think so, you don't say it at a press conference," Straka said, per Sport Klub. 

Djokovic was also in grief after the death of a Serbian bishop 

Amfilohije Radovic, Metropolitan of Montenegro and the Littoral, a prominent figure within the Serbian Orthodox Church, passed away on Friday before Djokovic's match against Sonego.

"Yes, this is a very sad day,” Djokovic said of Radovic's death, per Tennis Majors. “I was privileged enough and honoured to have met him, to spend some time with him and to feel the beautiful energy he possessed. Although he is physically not with us anymore, I am sure that his spirit will be felt among us for a very long time.

“I think that we ought to remember him with a smile and to be grateful for everything that he has done, especially recently with the political turmoil in Montenegro. There was a lot at stake, particularly when it comes to the church; he was courageous in leading the way and he set an example in how to preserve and nurture our cultural heritage and traditions.”

Djokovic admitted he didn't feel like playing too much after Radovic's death.

"Yes, to be honest I did not feel like playing too much,” Djokovic admitted. “The sad news did have an effect on me, but not the extent that I could not play. I have come to Vienna with a goal and I have fulfilled it. This was admittedly a very weird day, but it is what it is. I move on and I am turning a new page. I am going to spend some time with my family, I am coming back to Serbia, which I am looking forward to. I will have a good preparation for London in order to have a strong ending to the season.”



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3jJ4x6Q

No comments