Breaking News

'When I saw Roger Federer, I froze', says former No. 1

All tennis fans and not only their fans have written a personal letter to Santa Claus to see Roger Federer on the court again soon. The Swiss champion, twenty times winner of Grand Slam titles, frightened the fans a few weeks ago by admitting that his physical condition was not yet perfect and therefore, despite the usual phrases, there is a strong risk of missing the Australians Open 2021, the first Grand Slam of the season. The Swiss tennis player is aware that he does not make sense to force the times and that therefore the oceanic Grand Slam seriously risks not seeing the name of King Roger among the participants of the draw. It is now clear that Roger Federer's 2021 season goals are the Wimbledon tournament and the Tokyo Olympic Games. Also for this reason, putting the knee at risk again with a premature return appears reckless and dangerous by now on the threshold of 40 years. What can Roger Federer do in 2021? Through a video released by the ATP Roger Federer spoke again, releasing further clues about his future. Here are his words: "I hope you are all well after a very difficult year. I wanted to thank you for giving me the most loved tennis award by fans this year. Thanks to the ATP, thanks to all the tennis fans who have given me voted and can't wait to see me on the pitch. I'm training hard to get back on the pitch, I hope I can play in front of many people. Merry Christmas and I hope the situation improves next year." Speaking with Digisport, former WTA number 1 Simona Halep pays tribute to the 20-time Grand Slam champion.

Halep reflects on Roger Federer's future

Simona Halep said, “I saw him there, I froze, I didn’t know how to react and handed him the badge, asked him if he could give me an autograph.” One might think that after ruling a sport for more than a decade, a player can change but not Roger Federer. The 39-year-old Federer is still the best when it comes to being warm and welcoming. Simona continued, “It was very warm and gave me a very pleasant feeling. Even though he was very famous and very good in our sport, he talked to me and wished me well. He was an idol for our whole generation, a beauty on the field and off the field a very civilized man, with good sense, warm with everyone. A genius, from my point of view, and it would be sad enough for the sport for Federer to disappear. But I think that when he decides this, it will be a wise decision. Life means something other than tennis; he is old and what he has achieved is enormous.” The 20-time Grand Slam champion is reportedly to represent Switzerland in February at the ATP Cup 2021. From then on, Federer will take on the first major tournament of the year–the Australian Open 2021.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/38Ij4vX

No comments