Breaking News

'I’m sure Roger Federer, Nadal and Djokovic want to win...', says ATP ace

For Novak Djokovic it is the ninth Australian Open won out of 9 finals played, the third consecutive triumph, the eighteenth Grand Slam won by the number 1 in the world, which is close to the 20 won by Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. On 7 March the Serbian will overtake the Swiss in the ranking of the kings of the ATP, at the top of the world rankings for the greatest number of weeks. Roger currently holds the record with 310 weeks at the top. Between the 33-year-old number 1 in the world and the Russian rival Daniil Medvedev, who is 25, there has long been a solid friendship: «You have class and you have shown it once again. You are one of the most complicated players to face, it's only a matter of time, if you don't mind waiting a few more years... », said Djokovic. And even the Russian had praised Novak: "The first time I played with him I was number 600 in the world and I thought he wouldn't speak to me, and instead he treated me like he was my best friend and he never changed, even now that I'm here, and I'm number 4 in the world». Daniil Medvedev lavished rich praise on the Serb while also explaining what sets the 'Big 3' apart the rest of the field.

Medvedev on the Big 3

"Nothing else to say than they are undoubtedly, like, I don’t think anyone can argue with the three biggest names in tennis history," Daniil Medvedev said. "I’m talking only about results. I’m not talking off-court, game. I’m talking about results. What they did in tennis is unbelievable for me, like I said last time." The Russian saw the humor in this statistic too, suggesting that the odds of him scaling such heights bordered on the impossible. "I’m 25 now. To win nine Australian Opens, I need to win every year until I'm 34," Medvedev went on. "I mean, I believe in myself, but I don’t think I’m able to do it. Same with Rafa. I mean, 13 Roland Garros. We’re talking about some cyborgs of tennis in a good way. They’re just unbelievable." Daniil Medvedev revealed that he considers Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer as the most challenging opponents he has had on tour. The Russian even admitted that the trio are better at tennis than the rest of the field. "I rank him (Novak Djokovic) in top three hardest opponents that I ever faced," Medvedev added. "I’m not joking. I mean, played all of them (Federer, Nadal and Djokovic). I think when they want to is not a good word, I’m sure they want to win every tournament also, but when they’re in the zone, and I’m not shy to say it, I feel like they’re just better tennis players, again, which shows facts and numbers, than the rest of us, if we can call like this."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3dBiQep

No comments