Breaking News

Daniil Medvedev: I was joking when I said my goal for RG was to win one match

Russian tennis star Dannil Medvedev chose the nickname Chessmaster because he loves to "use strategy and play smart tennis."

"I chose Chessmaster from a few that I was offered, I think it uncovers an important side of my personality and my game: I like using strategy and to play smart tennis to win," Medvedev told Championat. 

Medvedev added former world No. 18 Igor Andeev to his coaching staff for the clay season. 

"He joined my team for clay season. He had good results on clay and I’m sure he would be a good addition to my team to help me deal with that difficult surface," Medvedev said. 

Medvedev, who is enjoying a career-high ranking of No. 2 in the world, claims he is not too much concerned about his rankings. 

"I don’t follow rankings, of course it’s better to be No. 2 than No. 200, but at the end of the day it’s just the outcome of your level and a number of wins. I’m just focused on winning every match," Medvedev claimed. 

Medvedev aims to win the French Open 

Tournaments have been forced to reduce prize money due to the pandemic but Medvedev is grateful to have a job and be able to earn money. 

"Of course it’s not ideal, but in this difficult times when people lose lives and jobs, I can’t really complain. I’m lucky to have other incomes besides prize money, I’ll be fine. I’m sure when people return to stands, prize money will rise," Medvedev said. 

Earlier this clay season, Medvedev said his goal for the French Open was to win a match. 

"When I said my goal was to win 1 match at RG I was joking of course. If i had mindset like that I won’t be competing. My real goal is to win a tournament. And to do that I just need to win each match I play," Medvedev said.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3fQfGmm

No comments