Breaking News

Alexis Ohanian: I thought tennis was a joke of a sport

Speaking at Business Insider's IGNITION conference in New York,  Serena Williams' husband Alexis Ohanian commented on how his perception towards tennis changed since he met Serena, whom he married in November 2017. The couple are parents of a daughter, Alexis Olympia who was born in September 2017. 'I played team sports my entire life and I thought tennis was a joke of a sport. I thought it was something people did for giggles when they wanted to get a little exercise. I would change the channel when it came on,' confessed Ohanian.

The Reddit co-founder added: 'I was so naive and so wrong and my entire mindset of sport… no matter what day I was having, there were 10 other guys on the field, or four other guys on the court who were there to help me out because it was team based. To take rejection and defeat and to be able to find that next gear and that higher level is something she has turned into an artform and is unparalleled at. That is a mental strength that doesn't get enough credit in sport. The mental strength it requires when you are alone out there with just one other person combined with the mental reset that is required between every serve is unmatched in terms of physical strength required to be great. That universal truth I see it in the beauty of the sport but not just when she's playing it, also in the preparation leading up to it.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2GmoCS6

No comments