Breaking News

Kei Nishikori: 'Next year I want to win Grand Slams and Masters 1000s'

In a long interview, Kei Nishikori commented on his comeback to the top. The Japanese player started the season being outside the top 200 rankings and he is now a world No. 10. 'The best part of this year is that I put my tennis to rights in the second half of the season', recognized Nishikori. 'I could hardly play at my best in the first half, I got through hard time after US Open. I've been rushing headlong toward my goal of coming back to the top level like climbing up stairs step by step. I'm playing net more frequently these days, I can play more aggressively than before.'

Nishikori also opened up on the wrist injury that forced him not to compete from August 2017 to late January 2018: 'While I was sidelined due to injury, I started reviewing (and brushing up) my serve. I worked on physical training hard, so that my body got stronger. I was thinking about whether to undergo a wrist surgery. I decided to avoid a surgery, but they said there was a possibility of recurrence. You have to use your wrist in every shot in tennis. I was worried about whether I would have to keep playing with fear (of recurrence).'

Commenting on his goals for 2019, the 2014 US Open finalist said: 'I've been just going for it without pressure this year, but I will have to improve more and more next year. I want to play decisively as always and then win Slams and Masters, that's my goal for next year. I've been through lots of experiences every year. I'm working hard to prepare for a good opportunity. Sometimes luck matters. I'll keep on trying to be ready and waiting for the opportunity anytime to break through at that time.'

In less than two years Nishikori will compete at the Olympic Games: 'It's special for me to have the Tokyo Olympics in Japan. An opportunity like this is not something anyone can experience. I'll try to improve to play the Olympics at my best.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2E6XpzX

No comments