Breaking News

Nick Kyrgios: 'I'd like to defend Brisbane title, but my focus is on..'

A former world number 13 Nick Kyrgios had a very promising start of 2018, winning the title in Brisbane and losing in the fourth round of the Australian Open in four tight sets. Nonetheless, he struggled with injuries in the rest of the year, winning just 25 matches and ending the season on the 35th place, his worst year-end ranking position since 2014 when he was 19. Dealing with a right elbow injury, Nick was forced to skip Rotterdam, Delray Beach, Acapulco, Indian Wells, Estoril, Madrid, Rome, Roland Garros, Vienna and Paris and it was a hip injury that sidelined him in Atlanta and Washington. 

With no rhythm or consistent results, Nick played just 14 tournaments in 2018 and he concluded his season after giving a walkover to Mirza Basic back in October in Moscow. In addition, he looked uninterested and indifferent in some of the matches and it was really a season to forget for the Aussie who is yet to start his preparations for 2019, not hitting any balls two weeks before the start of Brisbane where he will try to defend his crown. Instead, he focused on his NK Foundation and welcomed 94 children at the Kaleen Tennis Centre at home in Canberra this weekend, raising $5000 which will be spent on building a facility in Dandenong to help underprivileged youths. In addition, Kyrgios will start to train soon and he sets his eyes on a good January run, highlighting the Australian Open as his main target in the first months of the season. 

"I wasn't really expecting much going into [Brisbane] last year and I won't expect much going there this year again," Kyrgios said. "I'm just going to go there, play my style of tennis and if I happen to come out on top again, it's great. But if not, it's not so much of a big deal. I know there are bigger fish to fry, I'd rather win the [Australian Open] than Brisbane or something like that. Obviously, I'd like to defend my title, but it's not life or death for me. I've been going pretty hard [but] I haven't really picked up a racquet yet and started hitting. It was more about getting home and enjoying that, doing more stuff with the foundation. 

I'll ease into it ... I've been doing my own thing. I know it will be hectic in a couple weeks and I'm excited for the Aussie Open, I'll never take a grand slam for granted. You're never guaranteed another one. There was a young lady who came down who recently had a bone-marrow transplant. For her to come out to have a hit, she felt up to it and that was pretty special. She found out about [her illness] when she started playing tennis, so she couldn't continue. I put a whole bag of stuff - clothes, tennis racquets and everything - and gave it to her. To hit with her was great, I got pretty emotional. It was heart-warming, but it breaks me as well."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2EqnHx9

No comments