Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'I want to travel around the world with my family once I..'

The 20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer has arrived in Perth on Thursday morning, ready to perform at his fifth Hopman Cup and the third in a row with Belinda Bencic, visiting this amazing event every year since 2017. After another great season in 2018 when he won the 20th Grand Slam crown in Melbourne and became the oldest world no. 1 in February, Roger is eager to repeat the same in 2019 following another great Hopman Cup campaign. As usual, Roger spent the off-season in Dubai where he trained with Robin Haase and other players and he can't wait to kick off his 2019 season here in Perth, facing Cameron Norrie, Frances Tiafoe and Stefanos Tsitsipas in his singles matches. 

In addition, Roger will have the opportunity to play against another tennis giant Serena Williams in the mixed doubles match between Switzerland and the USA on New Year's Day, in one of the most anticipated encounters in the entire tournament. Before the main action starts, Roger had a chance to visit the Nambung National Park and the famous Pinnacles for the first time, enjoying with the kids on the beautiful beach and having a chance to hold a live western rock lobster, a year after that famous quokka selfie that went viral and helped to promote the tourism in the region. 

Roger expressed his passion for traveling once again and he plans to go around the world with his family once he retires, aiming to explore Western Australia more and visit the countries he never did before. 

"I think with my age people know that if I did something extraordinary that would be amazing," Federer said in Perth. "If that didn't happen, maybe it's logical you can't produce that tennis every year. You also maybe need a bit of luck, and the draw to fall your way. A lot of things need to happen to win any slam. I hope that again it will be the start of a great season for me because the last two seasons have been crazy good for me. I've been very happy with how the off-season went. The last three or four weeks have been very intense. I'm very excited and motivated for this next season. 

We'll probably play it down a little bit and say it's not that big of a deal for both Serena and me, it's just another tennis match, but it really isn't because it's probably going to happen once and never again. That's why I hope we're both going to be injury free when that day comes around. Serena is a fantastic player and I’ve watched her myself over the years. Now, it’s not a match between just the two of us but also Belinda and Frances. I’m expecting it to be interesting. People don’t know this about me but I love road trips. It’s a dream that when I retire and my kids are a little older, I’ll embark on these type of trips myself, not just in Western Australia but in the world."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2LG5XzB

No comments