Breaking News

Serena Williams Says New Rules for Returning Mothers are Great

Tennis - The new WTA rule changes that make it easier for women players to come back after giving birth have been hailed by Serena Williams, who herself returned to the tour earlier this year after giving birth to her first child in 2017. Williams' return was one of the reasons that the rules were re-looked at as she was not needed for the French Open upon her return when many believed she should have been.

As per the new rules, players who come back from pregnancy will earn an 'additional seed' at tournaments which means that they cannot face a seed in the opening round of a tournament. Speaking in Abu Dhabi, Serena commented, "I think it’s great. Women that are younger can go out there and have kids and not have to worry about it and not have to wait ‘til the twilight of their years to have children and I think it’s a really great rule. I think having gone through the experience myself really opened my eyes up to me and, ‘Would have I done it sooner had there been different rule changes?’ I don’t know. But now that there is an opportunity, people don’t have to ask that question anymore. I think it’s a great rule change. I think it is a lot. But I feel like it’s just something that’s always going to be there and be special and I'm happy that they did it.”

Serena will be appearing on the court for the first time since her US Open loss to Naomi Osaka and the 23-time Grand Slam champion says she has been feeling good and is looking forward to the new season. "I’m feeling good. I’ve been training for a couple of months now and I’m getting ready for the new year."

Also Read - Richard Gasquet to Miss Australian Open due to injury

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2RgEMkh

No comments