Breaking News

It's incredible what happened to Serena Williams, says Kim Clijsters

The four-time Grand Slam winner Kim Clijsters was surprised to see Serena Williams losing to Karolina Pliskova in the Australian quarter-finals. 'It's incredible what happened to Serena', admitted Clijsters. 'To my eyes she was the favorite, given her experience. And she seemed physically fitter than she was at the US Open. But now there are a lot of talented players on the Tour. Pliskova, Kvitova have a notable serve quality. Also Osaka, who won her maiden Major. And Collins impressed me beating Kerber. It's difficult to say who will triumph.'

Clijsters also spoke about how it feels to compete in the legends' draw: 'I am excited to play with Li Na here. I trained with her many times when we were on the Tour. What I always liked about her is that she stayed normal. She was one of the funniest players on the Tour. I remember I also had to play covering her tattoo. It was not allowed to her to show it. And I loved her gamestyle, she always fought until the last ball.'

In an interview to Eurosport, the 2015 US Open champion Flavia Pennetta commented on the upcoming final between Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. The Italian said she would have liked to see a championship clash between Stefanos Tsitsipas and Lucas Pouille, who respectively defeated Nadal and Djokovic themselves.

'While I was watching Nadal's match today I was thinking of a Nadal-Djokovic final, maybe not as long as in 2012, that would be great, but it was an amazing final, I still remember it', said Pennetta. 'Or it could be a new final although I think Novak is above Pouille on many levels but tennis is a little bit like the hell where everything can happen, it's at the best of five sets and not three, you have more time to come back in the match, you have an extra chance. The tournament director and fans hope to see Nadal against Djokovic, but something different for tennis would be a sort of oxygen, different.'

ALSO READ: Djokovic would beat Roger Federer in Australian Open final - Evert

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2WkbDo0

No comments