Breaking News

Marc Polmans sets eyes on the ATP Tour in 2019 after a breakthrough season

A former junior doubles Australian Open champion from four years ago Marc Polmans will compete in Melbourne for the first time on the pro level, standing as another youngster who made quite a progress in 2018 after winning 26 Challenger matches and two titles from three finals, adding three Futures crowns from four finals as well, winning 19 out of 20 matches on the lowest level of competition in five weeks! The Melbourne resident has made big progress through the ranking list in 2018 and he has been given the opportunity to prove himself on the biggest tennis stage and seek his first ATP win at the of 21 at Melbourne Park next week, facing Denis Kudla in the opening round. 

Starting 2018 from outside the top-300, Polmans claimed 46 wins overall to hit the top-140 for the first time in October and he feels ready to make the next step and chase his first good results on the min Tour in 2019, focusing on the smallest ATP 250 tournaments after having a chance to experience the Tour action last year, entering all four qualifying draws at Majors, which helped him a lot. The Melbourne resident will try to reach the top-100 as soon as possible and establish himself on the ATP Tour, also reducing the number of Challengers in his calendar if he continues to climb through the rankings. 

“It was a great year.. to work my way into the top 150 is a good achievement for me for the end of the year,” Polmans said. “I had a great start to the year – I picked up my first Challenger and that carried over to a few more Futures titles. Definitely had a great start to the year in terms of ranking points achieved, which allowed me to enter all the Grand Slams. It was a bit different for me because I haven’t played much at the Grand Slam level. So, to play qualifying of all of the Slams last year was a big confidence booster because I gained a lot of experience from playing. Now a big Aussie Open is coming up soon – I’m looking forward to that. 

It was great to learn from playing the Slams this year. I find it a bit nervy because you’re playing at a Grand Slam; it’s something that you dream of as a kid. Every moment out there was awesome so hopefully this year I can have better results in the Slams. My ranking allows me to play more ATP 250 tournaments.. now I can start working my way closer to the top 100 if I do better at those smaller ATP events. That’s gonna be my goal for next year, to play as many ATP 250 tournament as I can. I’ll try to reduce the number of Challengers and focus on the main Tour.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2RqP6a4

No comments