Breaking News

'My hip is killing me' - Andy Murray recalls pre-season training in Miami

After his very emotional press conference at the Australian Open, Andy Murray spoke to a group of British media about the reasons that are leading him to retire from tennis. Murray started seriously thinking about the decision in mid-December during the pre-season in Miami.

'After I practised with (Fernando) Verdasco I told my team in the locker room, like "This is it, I need to know when this is over'. I didn't lose the practice heavily. It was something like 7-5, 4-3. My hip was hurting and I was in pain. As the practice went on, it was getting worse and I was thinking "I can't do this. What I am doing this for? I had tears in my eyes and said "My hip is killing me. I shouldn't be continuing to go through that for nothing any more". The same sequence was happening — as soon as I started to increase my tennis load and play matches, the pain gets worse and my performance drops and I have to take a rest for a few days. It was enough', said Murray. 'I had been advised after having the hip operation that things can improve after up to a year to 18 months. I was advised to wait and see how that goes. I went off to Philadelphia this summer and did different rehab. It helped and improved things to a point, but my hip doesn't recover from matches or training any more. There hasn't been a day when I haven't spoken to somebody about my hip in 18 months, it's draining. I don't want to stop playing tennis just now, I don't feel ready for this, the rest of my body feels perfect. That's the hard thing about it. It's not like I wake up and my whole body's sore and it's too much. It's just one problem that can't be fixed.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2FubY1X

No comments